University of Malaya
The University of Malaya, a public research university in Kuala Lumpur, is Malaysia’s oldest university, founded in 1905. Originally known as the King Edward VII College of Medicine, it was created to solve a shortage of medical assistants in Singapore and Penang during the late 1890s. It was then housed in the old asylum near the Singapore General Hospital.
In 1949 the university merged with Raffles College, a school established in 1929 by the English for Malayans to study arts and social sciences, to become the University of Malaya, derived from the country’s name at the time. In 1960, the government decided that, due to its rapid growth, the university would be divided into two national universities, one in Singapore (now an autonomous separate university known as the National University of Singapore), and the other in Kuala Lumpur (established as its own institution in 1962, still retaining its name as the University of Malaya).
The university’s Coat of Arms shows the leaves of the Palmyra palm, which were used as printing material for ancient Malay books. Across these is written the university’s motto, ‘Ilmu Puncha Kemajuan’, a mixture of words from Arabi, Sanskrit and Malay, which means “knowledge is the source of progress”. In the centre are three Malayan tigers, symbolising the three main races in Malaysia: Malays, Chinese and Indians.
Today the campus is located 12km from the centre of Kuala Lumpur, on 920 acres, which include an Olympic sized swimming pool and a lake with kayaking. It has been granted self-accreditation since 2009, and has more than 60 research centres with six research clusters. Notable alumni include two prime ministers of Malaysia, as well as many politicians and other prominent figures from Malaysia and abroad.
Datuk Ir. (Dr.) A Rashim Hj Hashim, Vice-Chancellor
Datuk Ir (Dr) A Rahim Hj Hashim was appointed as the Vice Chancellor of the Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS on November 1, 2012. He graduated in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from the University of Birmingham, United Kingdom in 1976 and later received an Honorary Doctorate in Engineering from the same university in 2006.
He worked for PETRONAS for 32 years from September 1976 to December 2008 and held some important and key positions. These include as MD/CEO of PETRONAS Penapisan Melaka and Malaysian Refining Company (1991-1998), Vice President of Human Resource Management (1998-2002), Vice President of Gas Business (2002-2006) and Vice President Research and Technology (2006-2008). He was also the Technical Manager (1982 – 1987) and Refinery Manager (1987 – 1988) for PETRONAS Penapisan (Terengganu) Sdn Bhd, the PETRONAS first refinery at Kerteh.
A professional engineer, he sat on the Board of Engineers Malaysia and was Chairman of the Engineering Accreditation Council of Malaysia (2007-2012). He is currently an Advisor of Institute of Materials Malaysia, a Fellow of the Academy of Sciences Malaysia, a member of the Board of Engineers National Monitoring Committee, a board member of SIRIM and Deleum Berhad, a public listed company and a Malaysia Convention & Exhibition Bureau MyCEB’s Kesatria.
In October 2016 he was admitted as a William Pitt Fellow by the Pembroke College of Cambridge. He is the Past President of the International Gas Union (2009-2012), the Immediate Past President of the Malaysian Gas Association (2003-2015) and Past President of the Asia Pacific Natural Gas Vehicle Association (2003-2009). He attended the Harvard Advance Management Program in 1997.